I'm a 35-year-old accountant living in Texas. Like any human being, I strive to reconcile myself and my experience to the larger world. I find modern life to be at once complex and oversimplified. I want to know where my place is in the context of our society. I want to be the best person I can be. I want to live the life I want to live. I want to hold fast to my beliefs.
A bit about me:
- I'm an environmentalist living in a car-loving, business-driven city. I'm more hardcore than most, but a lot less hardcore than some.
- I'm a non-religious person living in a very Christian state.
- I'm a liberal person living in a very conservative state.
- I have no interest in wealth or status, in a city where wealth and status rule.
- I want to be self-sufficient in a world of convenience.
I live in a small house on a moderate income. I have reliable (but modest) transportation, food, utilities, a bit of extra spending money and the love of my family. I have good friends and a job that I enjoy. As far as I'm concerned, this is all I need and want. I don't want a designer handbag. I don't want to be on TV. I don't want a five-bedroom house. I don't want a diamond anniversary bracelet. I don't want to look younger. What I have is enough.
In upcoming posts, I plan to explore the concept of "having enough" as it relates to all sorts of issues, since it seems to be the foundation for all of my mental wrangling. First though, I'd like to know - what does "enough" mean to you?One final word - this is a friendly site. Bashing is unproductive and won't be tolerated.