Thursday, August 30, 2007

FOOD

-Noun 1 a : material consisting essentially of protein, carbohydrate, and fat used in the body of an organism to sustain growth, repair, and vital processes and to furnish energy.

But it's so much more than that, isn't it?

Okay, so my first few posts were pretty soap-boxy, and some days are just going to be like that. Today, though, let's talk about MEAT! No, there is no "this is why you should become a vegetarian" diatribe to follow. Today we discuss meat because today I receive my first delivery from Burgundy Pasture Beef, a nearby ranch that supplies pastured beef, lamb and hogs (plus extras) to the Dallas/Fort Worth area. I am most excited!

This is a mid-point step in a process of finding local sources for as much of my food as I can. The idea of eating cows that have been fed grain (which they were never supposed to eat), hormones, antibiotics, chicken waste and other cows really bothers me. I'm going to try my hardest not to eat any more sick livestock (but I'm really not ready to become a vegetarian - pigs are delicious). I realize that when dining out, all bets are off, but fortunately I don't dine out very often. Soooo...hold the line, please...I'll be back with an update when my parcel arrives!

[While you're waiting, let me tell you what I do know about Burgundy Pasture Beef. They are located in Grandview, Texas. All of their livestock is pasture-raised, as well as hormone/drug free. They have a nice selection of meats to choose from, as well as dog bones, soup bones, eggs and cheeses. Their prices are quite reasonable, they deliver all over the area on Thursdays and Saturdays, and in my communications with them so far, they have been extremely responsive and helpful. Oh, and they only require a 10 pound minimum order for delivery, so you don't have to commit to buying an entire side of beef. Okay, now, let's wait for the meat...]

Everything arrived exactly on time, and looks good! I requested smaller-sized cuts for our two-person household, and they accommodated that request across the board. My dogs aren't going to know what hit them - the bag of dog bones I ordered is huge, and full of fresh, marrow-ey goodness. They also supplied me with recipes, cooking tips and fresh product lists. All in all, a success! I'll put up subsequent posts after I've cooked some of this stuff. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment