Sunday, September 2, 2007

*Update*

Last night I cooked the first item from my pastured meat delivery. I chose the chicken, since it's Texas and still very hot, even though it's now September, and beef seemed a bit heavy.

For starters, it looked very good right out of the package. It's a bit hard to explain, but it looked very gently handled compared to a supermarket bird. Once roasted, it was deemed the best chicken we've possibly ever eaten, and certainly the best one I've ever cooked. It was juicy and flavorful, with excellent texture. Above all, it tasted very clean and very chicken-ey. In fact, we got so carried away that I completely forgot to take a photo of it for this post! We were totally preoccupied with eating the thing! I already regret only buying one.

I made some really excellent stock from the bones, and the stock and leftover meat made for a really stellar batch of jambalaya. Note to self: stock up on chickens!

A ground beef dish will be next, although I'm not sure yet what we'll be making with it. I'm holding off on the roasts until slightly cooler weather sets in.

No comments:

Post a Comment