Sunday, May 24, 2009

Everybody Stand Clear!

I am going to learn to play the fiddle.

That's right. I've never picked up a musical instrument in my life, but I'm going to learn to fiddle. Why? Because I'm ready to learn to do something that's entirely new to me and not simply a corollary of other things I already do, and because I've been reminded that along with every other aspect of our lives, we've sold out our entertainment, too. My generation and those after me are conditioned to think that entertainment is something we must pay someone else to provide. Don't get me wrong, I have the utmost respect for great musicians, and will continue to support them, but I don't want to have to solely rely on them. I should be able to make some of my own music, entirely independent of recording studios, music venues, electronic devices and such.

So, uh, we'll see if I can actually make anything remotely resembling music on this thing. ;-) It should arrive in a week or so, so I'll post and update when it gets here.

1 comment:

  1. Great idea! Go for it. Hope you have lots of fun learning to play your fiddle.

    ReplyDelete