Monday, April 21, 2008

Letting It All Hang Out

Saturday was Project Laundry List's National Hanging Out Day. Using a clothesline was something we had loosely talked about before, and the time seemed right for us to try it out. After a couple of test runs with sheets, we spent Saturday washing our clothes and hanging them on the line.

I have to admit, I'm astounded at the results. I've spent my whole life believing that using the dryer was faster and easier than line drying, but boy, was I wrong. First, let me say that the actual act of hanging clothes on the line is very...relaxing. It doesn't feel like work at all. Once you get out in sunshine with your basket of wet clothes, you don't seem to be in any particular hurry to get it done. Also, since the clothes can stay on the line until you're ready for them, there's no need to try to sync up the washing and drying cycles like one tends to do with appliances. No rush to get clothes out of the dryer to make room for more.

Admittedly, I will continue to use the dryer in small doses. I find that some clothes benefit from a five to ten minute tumble on "fluff", to shake the wrinkles and stiffness out of them. Apart from that, though, I'm sold on the line! When you consider that it will reduce our energy usage and not make our house hotter in summer, I can't think of any reason not to keep hanging out.

1 comment:

  1. I love my line ! I don't use it near as much in the cold winters we have here, but there is nothing like a spring day with wash on the line.

    ReplyDelete