Thursday, March 13, 2008

Testing Our Resolve

Who knew it would come to this so soon? It seems that one of our rabbits has a deformity. She has a condition called splay-leg, where her hind legs stick out to the sides of her body, making it difficult for her to get around. Apparently this condition can lead to paralysis. We had long since identified her as the smallest and weakest, and were questioning her ability to be successfully bred, and well, this is the clincher. I just can't see how it would make sense to try to breed her in her condition, so unfortunately, she's out.

We thought it would be months before we would have to seriously contemplate killing a rabbit for our table, but it looks like that day is upon us. There will be grim discussion at home this evening, I'm sure. Make no mistake, this task will not be easy or even remotely pleasant for us, but we've resolved that it's a necessary step on the path we've chosen to take. For my part, I feel that if I'm not willing to raise, care for and slaughter the animal myself, I probably don't deserve to eat it. I can't say what will happen on this first go round, so stay tuned.

4 comments:

  1. I feel for you ! This whole farm business is not for the faint of heart as it brings up way to many ethical questions. You have to think of your animals health and your productivity at the same time. Last year when we got our chicks we had one develop a cross beak. It got so bad as he grew (or didn't grow) that he had to be put down. Unfortunately he was still so young ( only a few weeks old ) that we could not eat him. We felt terrible, but what can you do. I hope this year when we receive our shipment they are all healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just knock it over the head with a stick. That's what I do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, I know. But it's our first one...

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband is so soft and squishy ! His boys are just like him. You should have heard the cheers when we ate Dinner.

    What have you decided to do?

    I wonder if you can find someone to do it for you?

    ReplyDelete