Friday, August 14, 2009

saved by the bread


It was a good plan, really it was. My mom and I had a solid plan to sell bread, cookies and other baked goods at a local farmers market this weekend. I had loads of bread dough made and got an early start baking this morning. I was ready.

About mid-morning the news came that we would not be setting up at the market after all. An unfortunate oversight prevented us from having all the required permits and paperwork to vend there, so I found myself with a glut of fresh-from-the-oven, still warm bread. It luckily wasn't too much, but it was certainly way more than we'd be able to eat by ourselves. I resigned myself to giving it out as freebies to folks I know, one or two loaves at a time, until it was gone. I was a bit disappointed that I wouldn't be able to sell it, but even worse would be to see it go to waste entirely.

Apparently when you mention you have a boatload of extra bread, people fall all over themselves to take it off your hands. The very first person I tried to give it to told me that she'd pay for it instead. She bought every last loaf I had, and that was before she had even seen it yet! I came home fifty dollars richer and didn't have to spend all morning manning a booth at the farmers market. Mark my words, people - BREAD SELLS ITSELF. Apparently.

No comments:

Post a Comment